In this series, we talk to people who turned their passion for food and baking into a business idea amidst lockdown and COVID-19 fears. Some have been in the market for years and others saw the new opportunity and took it! These home businesses are changing the game and have overcome the odds of running a business during quarantine. With increased restrictions once more, we talk to home bakers who are operating during these times to bring the sweet and savoury to your very own doorstep!
Shimza Ferosz has always had a keen eye for cake making and decorating from a young age. She enrolled in several beginner’s cake classes and courses right out of school and completed her PME professional diploma course in cake decorating and master's certificate modules in sugar paste, royal icing, and sugar flowers awarded by KPME-UK. She has taken part in several competitions and has won awards for her sugarcraft and cake decorations.
1. What do you offer?
- We offer cakes and we are specialized in different varieties of cupcake and wedding cake structures as well.
2. What is it like running your operations in times like these?
- It’s interesting as we find new ways of fulfilling customer demands and expectations. Sometimes it is challenging as well, but with the new norm, we need to adapt and move on with life. It’s our responsibility to adopt and fulfill those market expectations and deliver an end item aligning with the health and safety guidelines.
3. How are you ensuring the proper hygiene measures are taken in preparation and delivery?
- We have a framework in place that aligns with the health and safety guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health and we strictly adhere to it to ensure that what we offer is hygienic and safe to our customers.
4. What do you enjoy about baking and operating your own home baking business?
- Customer satisfaction, positive feedback, reviews, and comments from the customers. I think any feedback and suggestions for improvements that come from customers spread a positive message and inspiration to all bakers and entrepreneurs who are fulfilling their passion and aspirations to be a professional in this field.
5. How do you see home bakers going forward post-Covid?
- I see a lot of opportunities in this line of business as COVID has given that opportunity to any passionate person willing to start, build, operate and transform their passions into a substantial business avenue. With the digitization of the world, everyone is embracing the online world and any business could adapt to the current world environment to ensure that their business is sustained and progressing. Home baking businesses are also adapting as the manufacturing, supplying and delivery is quite transparent now and can be organized well for business continuation.
6. What’s next for your brand?
- I’ve participated in a lot of international competitions, won awards, and has managed to get my name out internationally. So for now, the next step is sustaining my brand and taking it global!
7. What’s Caked by Shimza’s signature style?
- My uniqueness when it comes to my cakes are is that it is all edible. I don’t use fresh flowers or non-edibles when it comes to cake decorating and I try my best and ensure that the whole cake should be edible art.
8. Any advice to anyone who wants to start their own business?
- I think any passionate individual could start their own business. Even if you have to start small, you can reach any top level if you believe in yourself, keep learning, keep trying, be disciplined in your work and follow your strengths. Then, surely, the sky is the limit.
Caked by Shimza takes orders via Instagram (@caked_by_shimza). Bank Transfers and bank credit is accepted and pick up is available or delivery in Colombo can be arranged.